Do you remember how many times you have pictured yourself relaxing in the cyrstal-clear water of the Caribbean? Or discovering natural wonders like Playa Rincón (in Samaná), considered one of the best beaches in the world? Or in the lush nature of Sian Ka’an, a paradise in which to discover the ancient civilisations of the Riviera Maya? Or in the incredible Teide National Park, in Tenerife? We are very lucky to be able to enjoy the magic and charm of these treasures that nature bestows on us. With this in mind, we want to encourage you to help us look after our natural surroundings during World Environment Day, so you can carry on exploring your natural surroundings, free of contamination.
Today we want to celebrate this day with you. Why? Because we love these breath-taking landscapes and floating in the warm Caribbean Sea (which is an experience you must try at least once in your life). It is our responsibility to take care of this paradise and so, for this reason, we, at Bahia Principe, are following the Environmental objectives of the United Nations Organisation. If you want to carry on enjoying the gorgeous destinations of Jamaica, Punta Cana or Majorca, we have to take care of it to the best of our abilities, as we do with you every time you come visit us.
World Environment Day, having been celebrated since 1974, is important for a number of factors. One of these is to reduce contamination. The planet needs our help and, according to the UN, the use of plastic is increasing every year with just one single use. This is because of all the natural resources used to produce it, in addition to the increase in contamination, given the fact that the waste generated is greater. In fact, according to this organisation’s data, every year we use 500 billion plastic bottles and, every minute, we buy one million plastic bottles. Not only that, according to this organisation, 8 million tonnes of plastic end up in our oceans every year.
How can we help? Recycling has to be an essential part of our lives. You can find recycling points in all of our hotels during your holiday. The fact is: ecotourism is important and we want to help you become more eco-friendly. The world has a lot to offer us and it is our duty to take care of it whilst we enjoy its natural wonders. With this in mind, we think it is essential that we collaborate on very small and simple practices like these:
- Maintaining the sea and beaches clean. The coast is stunning and the sea has that special charm that makes it unique. If we pick up all the waste we generate after spending a day on the beach, we can help keep it clean.
- Recycling. We should do this whenever we can because, if we recycle, we will reduce the amount of waste that is used and we will save our resources.
- Reducing the consumption of plastic. Or we can at least recycle whenever we can.
- Taking care of our natural environment: forests, jungles, parks and, basically, every natural spot we come across. If we respect our environment we can help keep it clean.
- Encourage your peers. Sometimes it’s a question of attitude. If you encourage your loved ones to help out, your circle will increase, bit by bit. The more, the better!
Help take care of the environment with us. Together we can carry on exploring our incredible and untouched landscapes- free from contamination. Will you help us improve our planet?